Cosmos are one of my favorite flowers. I have a small bud vase on my work bench that I continue to replenish, they are wonderful for cutting.
My favorite plants are succulents. These Chicks and Hens belonged to my Granny. They looked very sad when I rescued them. I have been carting them around with me through all of our moves, I even dragged them along when we were house sitting for 4 months. I like to have them near me, they make me happy.
This is a Cherokee Purple, one of the most interesting looking tomatoes in our garden. Other varieties we are growing include Sweet 100s, Roma, Sugar Snack, and our pride and joy, Campari Tomatoes grown from seed.
This is the first year I have had success growing basil. In previous years I've always bought transplants to add to my herb pot. As soon as I get them home they grow leggy and the stalks become woody, leaf production falls off and I eventually pull them out and toss them in the garbage. This year I decided to grow them from seed and the plants are very healthy. I grow basil so that I can make Boccoccini Salad which I adore and can't get enough of.
For a single serving...
- Cut a small handful of Pearl Boccoccini in half and place in small bowl, dress the cheese with balsamic vinegar until coated, set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice a handful of your favorite slicing tomatoes into bite sized pieces. I prefer Campari tomatoes, if they are not available choose a Cherry, Strawberry, or Grape tomato for the best flavour. Add to bowl.
- Cut 4 or 5 basil leaves into medium sized strips and add to the bowl.
- Dress the salad with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, amount equal to the balsamic vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Toss and Enjoy!