photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Monday, August 8, 2011

In the Garden...


{ Green Bush Beans / Venture Blue Lake from West Coast Seeds }
~ sown outdoors may 23rd ~


{ Corn purchased from Cannor Nurseries }
~ planted outdoors june 8th ~
 
 I planted this corn to border a little brick pathway I made for Elsie. Now the plants are taller than she is. It's definitely the effect I was going for but Elsie doesn't much care for the soft green leaves tickling her arms as she walks through.


 { English Cucumber / Tasty Green from West Coast Seeds }
~ sown outdoors may 23rd ~


This might be my favorite time of year in the vegetable garden. It's a bit magical when the heat loving, slow but steady veggies you carefully planted in May become ready for harvest. 
{ Green Zucchini / Ambassador from West Coast Seeds }
~ sown outdoors may 23rd ~
 

Tomatoes are the reason I bother with a vegetable garden, they are so worthwhile. I am very particular when choosing which varities to grow in the garden. This year I made a tomato wish list which we fulfilled entirely (poor Chris, he was so patient as I sifted through rack upon rack at Cannor's ...I needed at least one of each "type" on the list!)

Here are the types from my list...

  • Yellow
  •  Purple
  • Heirloom
  • Cherry
  • Grape

Now that the tomatoes are finally turning (ours are late due to our cool spring) it is really exciting to see the different varieties show their true colours...

{  Tomato - Tumbling Tom Yellow plant purchased from Cannor Nurseries }
~ planted outdoors may 22 ~
 
I picked up this little guy during our trip to Salt Spring Island for my birthday this year, I love plants that have a story...
 { Tomato - OSU Blue plant purchased from Chorus Frog Farm }
~ planted outdoors june 8th ~

 { Cherry Tomato - Sweet Million plant purchased from Cannor Nurseries }
~ planted outdoors may 22 ~


 ...and can you believe our strawberries have produced fruit all summer long.



:: I hope you are enjoying the dog days of summer and beating the heat as best you can during these hot August days!




2 comments:

  1. Your garden is so beautiful! I'm so envious of your tomatoes, especially those blue ones. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!!! You know where to send extras...wink wink :P

    ReplyDelete