photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hair


I'm doing something I've never done before, I'm donating my hair. I'm pretty lazy about cutting it. I normally go a year without a cut, if not longer. When it gets long enough that only elaborate braids will keep it contained, I know it's time to chop some off. My sister recently took the plunge and had her gorgeous hair cut short. She was planning to donate it but realized after the fact that it might not be long enough to donate. It got me thinking, why had I never thought to donate my hair? I was overdue for a cut and stretched it out a little longer so that I would have more to donate. I now have 28 inches of hair and an appointment on November 28th to have it loped off, I'm really excited to put it to good use. I wanted to blog about it because if it weren't for my sister mentioning it in passing, it may never have crossed my mind. I have a ton of hair and it's easy for me to cut off a bit more than I normally would, I'm putting this out here in case you have the same and like me, hadn't realized there was a need. 

. . .

I am sending my hair to the hair donation program listed on the BC Cancer website, 
these are their guidelines:  

  • Hair must be in a ponytail with elastics or ties at both ends (not loose or braided)
  • Hair must be a minimum of 8 inches in length
  • Hair must be untreated (no colour or perms)

The requirements for hair donation (length, treated vs. untreated hair, etc.) vary depending on where you donate so I would highly recommend doing your research FIRST before getting your hair cut. In my searching I found this page listing many of the big donation programs complete with requirements for each (some of these programs will accept treated hair so take a look if you're worried you don't qualify!).

Wish me luck!


19 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for you!! this is such a wonderful cause. xo and you're gonna look so ah-mazing in your new do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh!! I have donated 18 inches of my hair once. I went so short it was crazy unreal. I grew it back then cut and donated again. I am currently in the process of growing it out again. Its a trend I can't help to keep.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Jane!!! This is so generous and thoughtful of you. Someone will be overjoyed to wear your beautiful locks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to feel soooo light once its chopped. I did mine a few years back and donated it. Good luck on the chop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I never realized that your hair was so SUPER long! 28 inches. I agree, it's going to feel amazingly light once it's chopped off. What a great way to make use of that lovely hair.

    btw, I think this is so cool... it's like the opposite of Movember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this! i donated my hair after our wedding, and it wasn't NEARLY as long as yours! of course, i cut it a lot shorter than you probably will as well! can't wait to see the "after" shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your decision, it's a wonderful prgram. I've never donated my hair for cancer victims, because it was always colored. I have for donated it for oilspill cleanup mats. They are willing to take all lengths, and perms/coloring don't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So cool. I'm excited to see your new 'do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredibly thoughtful of you!I am sure you will rock the short hair anway! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, my husband and I did that about a month ago to the same place! Such a great cause, hair grows back, and I am enjoying the shorter hair right now! Best of luck! cannot wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a truly wonderful thing to do!! That's so amazing!! And I bet with your gorgeous bone structure, you'll totally rock short hair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never realized your hair was quite so long! Holy jeeze! I'm excited to see a new cut on you and inspired by your donation :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are nearing Thanksgiving here in the states and it always gets me to thinking about all the things I'm thankful for (like healthy friends and family). Your donation will make a lot of people happy and that is not a small thing. My daughter donated her hair a few years back (she was quite young then) and I know that she will always remember how good it felt to do something so personal for others. Oh, and I agree with Julie that you will look smoking with short hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I donated 11 inches over the summer to a similar charity called locks of love. It makes hairpieces for children who have cancer. So far I have donated over a meter of hair. Congratulations on your decision! Its hard to part with, but it grows back.Good Luck - Gulfpurl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! That's an interesting thing to do. Personnaly, I would never have thought about it. Maybe next time you could keep them to make a ball of yarn! ;) You never know, it could work and be really fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so exciting! You have gorgeous hair and I'm sure it will make a gorgeous wig that someone will feel honored to wear :) Good luck! I'm sure you'll rock the short hair; a cute a-line, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someone's going to have a gorgeous wig to rock. I can't wait to see the after pictures!

    ReplyDelete