photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Friday, August 17, 2012

Canadian Living // Duly Noted

August has been an absolute blur. It's been so jam packed full of fun, all of which I've been wanting to post about but haven't had a moment to do so. 


Hands down the most exciting moment this month was seeing my name in print in the September issue of Canadian Living. I was over the moon when Austen wanted to host a Classic Raglan Pullover Knit Along but when she asked me if I could provide a quote for an upcoming issue of the magazine I nearly fell off my chair! ...and the topic of conversation was right up my alley...

Where do you jot your notes?


Just like my works-in-progress I also have a bit of a system when it comes to my note taking, are you surprised? I'm a little methodical about my where I jot my notes. 

Sketches for new designs are done in a custom notebook made by a dear friend who works at a print shop.  This spiral bound notebook is filled with heavy cardstock and it's the perfect size to carry in a purse without being too tiny to be useful. Of course I had to tag the cover with a yarn ball. 



I also have a zillion Clairfontaine notebooks in all shapes and sizes, they are my mothers go-to gift for me. Most of them are filled with pencil drawings I've done over the years. 



But the workhorse of my notebook arsenal is my trusty clipboard. It's old and beat up and to be honest I can't even remember how I acquired it. I load it with scrap paper and use it for everything, note taking, quick sketches, crunching numbers and pattern drafting. All of my pattern sizing and calculating happens in Excel but every once and a while I'll take my clip board, calculator, pencil and eraser and just sit in a comfy spot with my numbers and a cup of strong coffee. ...sigh, I love math. 

So, where do you jot your notes?

7 comments:

  1. It's an honour to share the page with you, Jane! I love my clipboard for day to day lists, but it's my 1/4 inch graph paper that gets used for quilt designs. I love math, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see so many knitters that I 'knew' in the issue! It was exciting for me just to read it. Congrats on being in the magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pattern math is underrated. I love it too. I prefer to do all mine by hand because figuring it out on my own just feels so good. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for participating, Jane! I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait until you see the next book.... your gonna love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You doll! I'm nearly out of pages and I'm being very careful about what I sketch in it now! ...I've moved since you sent me that amazing care package though so drop me a line if you need my new addy <3

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the feature in Canadian Living! So exciting!

    Thanks for the notebook tip. I'm a little nerdy when it comes to office supplies. I have discovered I've a preference for a nice, sturdy, spiral bound notebook for my designing. I used to hate spiral bound with a passion (their seemingly constant snagging on stuff in bags irked me). But maybe I was just impatient/surrounded by cheapy cheap spiral bounds.

    ReplyDelete